Wednesday, January 8, 2014

If You're Going to be Poor, Anyway, You Might as Well Follow Your Dreams


We are all encouraged to fulfill our potential in life, which means we should make a lot of money or provide a valuable service, preferably both.

But what if you don't want to be a surgeon, or mastermind a pyramid scheme? Or what if that seems a little too challenging? Then what do you do? Other than telemarketing, I mean.

Well, if you're going to be poor anyway, you might as well follow your dreams. And for me, the thing that really makes me happy, the thing that I truly believe I was born for, is lifting heavy stuff: furniture, rocks, backpacks.

The problem is, it's a dead-end career track. If you want to advance at lifting heavy stuff, you have to become a supervisor of people who do all the fun work, and then, eventually you get shoved into an office to sit at a computer all day. And that is so unfulfilling.

Therefore, I write.